12.17.2009

Where is Baby Jesus?!?

This is my blog which means I get to write about whatever I want to write about. And so, I'd like to ask the question where is Baby Jesus? Seriously. Isn't it almost CHRISTmas? I get that our country has secularized the heck out of this holiday, but still, it is still a celebration of Jesus' birth for those of us who are Christians, right??

Here's where I'm coming from. I am hosting a little neighborhood Christmas party on Monday. We're doing a birthday party for Baby Jesus. I'm asking each child to bring a picture of themselves as babies, then we'll do a show and tell about how we ALL were babies once, even Jesus. I want to put a "picture" of Baby Jesus in the center of the board, and have the kids place their pictures around it. For a 3 year old, it will be a good visual that Jesus actually WAS a baby!

Which brings me to my discovery ... where to find a "picture" of Baby Jesus? I went to the local card shop. One would think there would be a card out there somewhere with a picture of the manager on it. I looked and looked and looked again. I saw santas and snow flakes and trees and presents and lights and reindeer and beautiful flowers and candles and snowmen but not one card with a manger and the baby on it. Not one. Maybe I'm terribly naive but this has shocked me a little. And I think it should.

And then I look around my house. And there are santas and snow flakes and and trees and presents and lights and reindeer and beautiful flowers and candles and snowmen and yes, a baby Jesus, too.

Traditions aren't bad. But I hope I can regain a renewed determination to keep the Christ in Christmas. And if the card stores don't want to, then so be it. But at our house this year we're not going to forget what exactly it is we're celebrating. The birthday of our risen Savior, Jesus Christ.

And if I sound politically incorrect, I'm not going to apologize. Cuz like I said, this is my blog. And it's Christmas. Jesus' Birthday. And I think He should be prevalent in the celebration. It just makes sense.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Amen sister! I am with you 100%-- every year it saddens me more....

We try, in so many ways to make it all about Jesus' birthday and celebrate the best gift ever given-- but the commercial aspect of the holidays is pounded into my kids--everywhere we go, it's hard to compete with that-- but compete we will! :o)

Karen said...

Amen sister! I am with you 100%-- every year it saddens me more....

We try, in so many ways to make it all about Jesus' birthday and celebrate the best gift ever given-- but the commercial aspect of the holidays is pounded into my kids--everywhere we go, it's hard to compete with that-- but compete we will! :o)