6.10.2008

Happy BDay Paul!

Today my husband turns 35! Happy Birthday Paul! Can you believe you've been on this earth for 35 years?!? Seems like just yesterday you were such a stud in your Nautica sweatshirt posing for your senior pictures. :)

Birthdays are a funny thing. We say the older we get the less meaning they have. The less importance they have in our lives. Maybe that's true for some. For me, I think I need birthdays more the older I get. I need the "good stuff" that birthdays bring as years pass on by.


When we're little, we know we're loved, we know our parents are "rooting" for us, praying the best into our lives. We know (or at least we believe) that the word is full of opportunities, hope & great things. As we get older, it's not quite as clear. We think we're probably loved by a few people, but deep down we wonder why. Love is more complicated. We think others might still be rooting for us, but secretly wonder if there are some who might be doing just the opposite ... hoping for us to fail. We want to continue to believe the world is full of hope & opportunities, but we watch the news. We know of friends who are suffering. We've learned first hand that life is hard; and not just in the cliche sort of way; it really IS hard. For real.

So then come birthdays. One after another. Faster and faster each year. When we're little; they're a big deal, and rightfully so. But, as we age, don't we need the same sort of celebration? Don't we still long for good friends and loving family who are glad we've been in their lives for another year? Don't we want to be celebrated ... at least a little? I know I sure do. I know I want to be reminded that I'm loved, wished the best, reminded that the world can be a good place.

And, so, my sweet husband, I hope on this day you feel loved. I hope you get lots of warm fuzzies from those around you. I hope that when the kids give you their homemade cards you'll sense how very much they love you. I hope when you eat dinner on your "you are special" plate, you'll be able to enjoy the spotlight. I hope when you blow out your candles, you'll realize how cherished you are. I hope you know that I'm rooting for you, that I believe in you, that I'm so thankful I've been able to spend year 35 by your side.

Happy Birthday!