6.04.2008

Last day of Kindergarten!


Where has the year gone? It seems like only yesterday I was holding Ella’s hand, walking her down the street for her first day of “real school”. Today I anticipate walking down that same road, saying good-bye to her teacher & friends for the summer. She doesn’t realize it, but 1st grade is so much different. The work is different, the teachers different, the school day different, just different.

I wish we could do Kindergarten all over again. I wish I could turn back the hands of time a year, maybe even 2. I would do some things differently, with our days at home together, and I would do some things the same. I would play more, tickle more, have more fun. I would go to all the tea parties I was invited to, even if they interrupted my schedule. I would allow more books from the libary, instead of "just" 5. I would stay in PJs longer on those cold winter mornings. I would still be intentional about kindness, telling the truth, being respectful. I would teach her to tie her shoes BEFORE Kindergarten started (sorry Mrs. Johnson!). I wouldn’t be so worried about dirty shirts, dirty hands, dirty faces. I would continue to try and say “yes” way more than “no”. I would keep saying “I love you” as much as I could without being obnoxious, along with “I’m proud of you” and “way to go”. I would keep her bedtime routine until she begs me to stop. I would continue to insist on hugs.

Although 1st grade is looming right around the corner, first comes summer! We’re going to have a great one! Lots of time together. Lots of learning. Lots of loving. Lots of playing. Lots of books. My prayer for this summer is that the kids and I will love more, respect more, learn more about God. That we’ll build memories that will carry us into the fall.

I want Ella to stay young forever, but I also want her to grow and develop and become a beautiful young lady. I just want it to go slowly. I want to enjoy every part of her; and not miss anything. I want her to someday look back and know without a doubt that she was loved. That she was liked. That her mom did the very best she could, and I want that to be enough.
I’ll miss her next year when she’s gone every day. I like spending time with her. I like being the primary influence throughout her day. I know she needs to go, but most days I wish she could stay just a little longer….

The good news is that tomorrow is summer vacation, and 1st grade doesn’t start for 3 whole months. We have lots of days ahead … I pledge to make the most of them!

3 comments:

Julie Linn said...

Jessica,

Your blog is awesome! Great job. I loved reading about what's going on over there in the Hoekstra home, this being the last day of kindergarten.

I always knew you had all kinds of amazing gifts and talents, but who knew you could write on top of it all?!

See you tonight.
Julie

Paul H said...

Jessica,

I love the blog -- good job. You are the most amazing mom and wife a family could ever imagine. Gods love for our children is modeled through you daily -- way to go.

Love Ya,

Paul

Yvonne said...

cJess,
I'm going to try posting this again and see if it works. You are a wonderful mother, daughter, wife and writer!! Thanks for sharing this so that we can see what's going on in your lives. I am so grateful for you and the rest of the family. I did pray for you often as you were growing up so it goes to show that God is in control and you are a beautiful example of what He has made.

Love,

Mom