1.14.2009

Invisible is OK

I heard a fantastic comparison today between moms and cathedral builders. The cathedral builders of old would often work their entire lifetimes building something they would never see completed. They would work, day in and day out, on tiny, intricate details that were part of a larger beauty. They toiled, sweat and did the best they could, all for God's glory. The history books very rarely include the names of these great builders. They did what they did for God alone, not for fame or a legacy. They constructed in silence, with the sole purpose of building something greater than themselves, for someone greater than themself. They were invisible, at least to man.

As a mom, I often wonder if I'm invisible too. Does anyone care that their socks are matched? Does anyone notice the effort that went into a healthy, hot meal that tastes good too? Did the top bunk get made all on it's own? How does that snack get into the backpack each day?

It's easy to feel invisible around kids. They interupt when I'm talking on the phone. They demand my attention even when it should be clear I'm in the middle of something. Their needs come first, in fact, I'm not even sure they realize I have needs.

It's easy to dislike being invisible. It would be easy to demand some respect. Demand some thanks. Demand that someone sit up and take notice of all the things that just "happen" to get done.

Except that it's not about me. My life, and my purpose, and my work is not about me.

It's about something greater than me, for someone greater than me. My work is not for my kid's happiness, my husband or even for myself. It's for the God who created me. He's the one who notices and the one who sees even when others don't. He hears the prayers that are sent up sometimes by the second. He sees the brownies that are lovingly prepared just for a smile in return. He knows the love that goes into bedtime prayers. The dreams that are dreamt. He sees a heart that loves, that wants to obey, that gives for nothing in return. He notices, and loves me for who I am.

I am building something greater than myself. I will probably never see it completed in my lifetime, but that's OK. I am loved, and cherished and a daughter of God. Even if somedays I feel invisible.

4 comments:

Julie Linn said...

Hey Jess, your family is so lucky to have you. I like your attitude and can learn a ton from it.

love ya,
Julie

MARIANNE said...

Wow Jess! You know sometimes how the right words make it to your ears at the right time? Thanks for sharing these words at the right time. It really touched me! Julie is right, your family is blessed to have you!

Karen said...

This was VERY beautifully written.... I recently read that same e-mail with the cathedral story and had some of the same convictions.... Love all your blogs!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess, You are an amazing Mom and Wife. You are an awesome person with a very deep insight in your life and our family. I'm so proud to be married to you. Thanks for your love and your relationship. I'm looking forward to spending the rest of my life with you.

Paul