2.25.2009

Amharic Anyone?

There's a very good chance #3 will speak Amharic. I've bought a few phrasebooks, but was having a hard time figuring out how the pronunciations sounded. In the mail this week came "Simple Amharic for Adoptive Families". It's a book just for families like ours, who want a little help communicating with their kids. It comes with a CD, so this afternoon I spent a little time repeating after an Amharic speaking teacher. It didn't sound great, but I'm hoping with some time and maybe a little luck, I can learn a few important words that will help #3 with his transition. Ella has a big interest in it as well, so she's learning along with me. So far, we've learned the words for:

Yes: AH-o
No: i-AYE
Goodbye: Chow
Hello: Seh-LAHM (think Salami with out the "i")
Dog: WIH-shah

We really want to learn "I Love You" next, but it's a little tricky. We're sticking with easy words for now. Chow!

No comments: