5.06.2009

Tulip Time in Holland


Call me a nerd, but I LOVE Tulip Time in Holland! I love the flowers, the visitors, the parades, the costumes and all the energy. The junk food isn't bad either! I'm Dutch Dancing this year so I get downtown lots of times throughout the week. Ella loves to come with me and wear her costume as well. This year I'm dancing with my sister Julie for the first time ever! I had to switch to a boy to do it, but now I have 2 costumes which is kind of fun.

Today my Dad, sisters, neice, the kids and I scrubbed streets in the parade (my Mom was on 'water patrol' at their house ...long story). We had so much fun. This tradition goes back as far as I can remember into my early childhood. My parents dressed us up each year and we participated in the annual street scrubbing. It's fun to carry on the tradition with my kids.

Happy Tulip Time to all my fellow bloggers! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica

I am from The Netherlands and I collect everything that has to do with our national symbol, the wooden shoe. I see that you are a Dutch Dancer. I am very interested to hear more about the use of wooden shoes in the USA and especially about the experiences with dancing in wooden shoes. How the are to dance and to walk in, how often they break, how long they last etc. I heard that they break quite often and that some dancers break them deliberately when they finish dancing. I would love to have photos of that! You can also mail to my email address vanloenenannemarie@yahoo.com

Kind regards
Annemarie van Loenen

Anonymous said...

Cute pic of Ella in the paper this morning!

DeLynn Unema said...

What a great family picture!! Who is your photagrapher?? haha... Ella was so cute in the paper today!