8.10.2009

Back to (a new) Reality


Vacation is officially over at our house.
We found Felmata in his bedroom late Saturday night with his (clean) pajamas waded up in the dirty clothes hamper and lying in bed in his swim suit. He was very upset that Saturday we didn't go to the pool or beach or even out on the boat. I soo wish I had the language to explain to him what "vacation" means. I'm pretty sure the poor kid thought that was our new reality ... sleeping in, late bedtimes, lots of time with family, beach, pool, bike rides, dessert every night. Oh how I wish that was true ... but alas, it's back to reality at our house.
Today was filled with lots of whining and screaming and just general crabiness. Unless we were doing something fun. I think the reality is sinking in for my sweet, new child. I think the frustrations of not being able to communicate are starting to show up a little. On the other hand ... he did GREAT at the dentist. Go figure!
Several people have commented that our "adoption story" seems too good to be true. As I read through my other posts, I guess I have painted a pretty stress free picture. But I don't regret that. Felmata has brought so much laughter and joy and hope and excitement to our family. Even today. Even amidst the other not so fun behavior.
It's not all hugs and laughter and giggles. Sometimes (actually more like lots of times) there are tantrums. And spitting, yes, I said spitting. And kicking humans and one very tolerating dog (who may have enjoyed his vacation even more than we did!).

This is not easy. And I'm sorry if I've made it sound like a cake walk. Because it's not. But it's God's plan and I'm so very glad.

I'm adding a few more vacation pictures ... cuz this is my blog and I can.









4 comments:

Julie said...

Jessica, I've hopped over from your sister Julie's blog to read about your adoption. I LOVE your optimism and joy through this whole summer; your honesty has kept it real yet always rejoicing in the blessings of your family. Tell Ella "hi"! I'm getting ready for the school year and starting to label things with her name on them... :)
Julie (aka Mrs. Wright)

Amanda said...

I love your attitude with all that is happening in your life right now. It is a blessing to be able to read about the ups and downs that you are experiencing and know what the new normal will be.

Thank you for sharing this with us with such honesty. We look forward to being where you are in a few months.

Amanda

Brad said...

Jessica,
Just found your blog from AAI's bloglist a couple weeks ago. So good to see the blessings in your family...and that there are actual children on the other side of all of the paperwork! :) We're just in the process of finishing our homestudy and hope to have our dossier sent off in the next month or so.
Congrats on the addition to your family.

MARIANNE said...

Jess, I've loved being able to read your blogs and see your pictures. It does my heart good to see how you embrace the love lessons that Felmata has brought along with him! It is proof that our attitude can make all the difference in any situation!