8.31.2009

Fish are our friends!

This is a story that just has to be re-told.

For weeks, anytime Felmata sees a fish (on TV, in Cartoons, in a book, in aquariums ...) he says "YUMMY!" "FISH"! Then he makes a cutting motion and pretends to be picking apart the fish to eat. One would think I would have cooked the child some fish by now. I'm embarassed to say ... I have not. I am not a fish lover. In fact, the smell of it turns my stomach. I did not eat fish as a child, I do not eat fish as an adult ... unless it's tuna from a can with mayo and lots of veggies added in. That's not the funny part of the story.

Today was a hard day for Felmata (see my last blog post). A few days ago we were at the neighbors, and he got to feed their pet fish. He thought that was fun. I thought ... Felmata needs a fish of his own. What a fun project that would be! We could care for it, love it, he could have a pet of his own.

At Meijer today we bought a very cute (if they can be cute!) Beta fish complete with his own food and "safe water" solution. You can probably see where this story is heading ... I, on the other hand, didn't follow the logical conclusion until it was almost too late.

Fast forward to lunch time.

Me: "Felmata" ... "What would you like for lunch?"
Felmata: "FISH!"
Me: "Oh, Honey! Mommy's sorry but we don't have any fish. How about some pasta?"

This is the part I should have seen coming. For the Beta's sake, if not for my own.

Felmata proceeds to run to the fish bowl, and grab for the Beta. He splashes, he stabs, he very nearly has the Beta in his hand. There is water everyone. If fish could scream, Beta would be howling.

Felmata: "FISH! YUMMMMY! FISH for LUNCH!!!"

Apparently he thought the nice pet Beta was our lunch.

How could I serve the child pasta after that?? We got our shoes on and headed to Lamberts (a seafood specialty market) and I bought the boy some perch.

He loved it. And the Beta is still alive ... for today anyway.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I love it!

Unknown said...

Hee!Hee! Not the ending I was expecting though. Sounds like Felmeta had a big day. I see another trip to Lamberts in your near future....for the Betas sake!

Karen said...

OMG! I laughed so hard I had tears!!

Heather F (AAI family) said...

This is a great story! So glad you bought the boy some perch. I'm still laughing as I type this. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for posting the video of "Jesus loves me." I totally love it.

Julie Linn said...

Laughing so hard, I'm crying. Gotta love him!

MARIANNE said...

My mom said she's make him some Peruvian style fish dinner. You have to pick the meat off the bone while the thing stares at ya! She would be happy to finally have someone look forward to eating that dish instead of dreading it.

Cheeky said...

After reading this, I decided to try fish for dinner tonight for Taye. We shall see if he is as much of a fan as Felmata is.