8.23.2010

What's in a name?

Saturday night we were able to gather with the group we traveled to Ethiopia with. It was so fun to see how much changing all 4 boys have done in just 1 year. They all looked so alive and healthy and adorable! I wasn't surprised, and yet it reminded me once again the power of family. And food. And security. And hope. It's remarkable really.

We met at an Ethiopian restaurant. It turns out the man who owns the place lived just 18 miles from where Felmata was born. And speaks his native language!! When Sam spoke to Meta in Oromo Meta just looked at him. "Say it again!" he shouted. But, saying it again didn't help. Meta followed Sam around most of the night and kept asking him "say something else in Ormo!" It seems that Felmata has lost all of his original language. This was sad to me, and to him as well. We knew it would happen eventually ... as there is no one in his life for him to "practice" with, but I was surprised that just a year later he didn't recognize any of it.

The best part of the night for us came when Sam asked us if we knew what "Felmata" means. I have researched and asked and questioned several Ethiopians to no avail. No one seemed to know what his name meant (I think this is because most of the people we met were from the Capital and not from the Oromio region). Sam smiled a little grin and said Felmata means "prone to argue". Oh boy! We laughed and laughed and laughed. If you know Meta at all, you know why we laughed. Let's just say his birthmother had amazing intuition. We'll just leave it at that! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing like crazy at his name meaning! :o) Oh My!!! It is so exciting that you finally found out what his name means-- way cool!

But I am very sad that he doesn't remember any of his first language.... it is so bitter sweet.... Thanks for sharing this story....

Karen said...

I am laughing like crazy at his name meaning! :o) Oh My!!! It is so exciting that you finally found out what his name means-- way cool!

But I am very sad that he doesn't remember any of his first language.... it is so bitter sweet.... Thanks for sharing this story....

Anonymous said...

Hi Jes, I have been periodically visiting ur blog - blessings to you and the family as always. Glad to see you're conciouse of these things for your little guy ;) I pray you continue seeing things thru his eyes even if he wouldn't say it; and rest in knowing you are perfect for him.

Chang-ju Yoon (Robyn Afrik)