4.29.2010

it's not good for (wo)man to be alone

I was able to spend a long, uninterupted night with a friend I haven't seen in awhile. Over root chips and pizza and a little vino we talked and laughed and even brushed away a few tears. As I was driving home it reminded me once again why it's not good for "man" to be alone.

We reluctantly admitted that it's been almost 2 years since we've seen each other. There was a time when we saw each other almost every day. And then life moved on. We quit our (mutual) jobs, we ended up living in different cities, we became moms. Life moved on. But, thankfully, our friendship has not. It's always fascinating to me that when we are able to get together, it seems like we pick up right where we left off. I'm thankful for that. And for her. Because I know she is a friend for life.

It is healing for me to laugh with a friend. It is refreshing to be reminded that life is hard for others too. It is good for my soul to be reminded that people (who don't have to!) like me. It's good for me to connect with friends I really like being around ... just because.

I used to think that having (girl)friends was a luxury. That my family and my job and my husband and my t0-do list were all really important, but making time for myself with friends was sort of optional. Or indulgent. Or just not that crucial. As I'm getting older and life is busier and more complicated and at times way harder than anyone told me it would be; I'm realizing that it is not a luxury. It is good for me. It restores me. It makes me a better person. And I need it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep "needing it" for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

MARIANNE said...

Someone once told me that our best friends are the "low maintenance" friends. Low or high, friends are a blessing!